Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The New Semester Is Here and I've Finally Posted my Project Pictures

My first day of classes was yesterday. I'm enrolled in Corporations, Criminal Procedure/Constitutional Law, Family Trial Practice, Trusts, and Professional Responsibility. The first three classes I had yesterday and I think Crim/Con is going to be a doozy. Family Law Trial Practice will be very interactive as it is being taught in a mock courtroom, and Corporations, well who knows? All I do know is that there is a master outline that everyone studies from and does very well on the exam. I'll post anything exciting.

Ok, I've finally downloaded pictures of crochet/knit projects and thought I'd post them here for posterity.

Starting with my first crochet project ever - a baby blanket that I gave to friends that told Innocent Bystander that they were going to have a baby the day I started the blanket. It was destiny for the little one. I started it after Christmas 2006 and finished it by mid-January. It's made with a baby soft acrylic so that mom and dad could wash it several times. Simple but satisfying:

And a close-up of the pattern:









Next up is an Amigurumi bunny - although the face is a little simple - hey it was a first try. These are really fun to make and my favorite amigurumi designer is Ana Paula. Check out her stuff after checking out this bunny:






I crocheted a bunch of cool scalloped scarves, but unfortunately I don't have any pictures of them. I'll have to make another and post one online - it's a pattern that uses one full skein of paton's wool from the Happy Hooker crochet book (not to be confused with the other Happy Hooker, Xaviera Hollander). I modified the pattern so that it isn't as long and it's much wider. I also add embelishments to the corners of the scarves, like buttons or jingle bells.

Onto the next pattern, a simple garter stitch scarf that I made with handspun and dyed wool I picked up on Newbury Street. I call it my subway scarf as I made it to and from the library during finals this december. One of my first knitting projects (that I've completed).

Next is a hat that my poor dad was given for Christmas this year. You can find the pattern here. I think it came out quite good as I learned fair isle knitting and knitting in the round on this very hat. No practice runs, I just dove right in. I completed the hat in about 6-8 hours.

Last but not least is a pillow that I made for Innocent Bystander from this book. The C stands for curmudgeon, no, cute - ok not really either of them. The pattern was actually quite easy - reversing knit and purl stitches for the outline around the pillow (hard to see here) and for the letter C. The yarn was from Knitpicks.com and it was 75% cotton/25% wool. The funny part was when I gave IB the gift, I had just packaged up the book, yarn, and needles. The book was a baby book - and I made sure to tell him it wasn't what he was thinking! I think he was rather glad. The pattern is too nice not to make up for big babies as well!

That's it for the projects right now. I just received the new Lion Brand catalog in the mail and there's a really cute felted purse I might try to make. Only two skeins of wool so it fits in with a student's budget.

President Bush will be speaking in less than two hours about the 20,000 troop "surge." WTF is up with that word? It's like, heh heh, the American people are already pissed off at me, so what sort of word could I use to piss them off even more? Oh, yes. Surge. I'll be watching.

No comments: